Thursday, February 18, 2010

Happy birthday


Much like Valentine’s Day was, today promises to be yet another troubled day for me. You see, today is my wife’s birthday. Normally, about this time I’d be strategically placing a card somewhere that I know she’d find it. And this evening would be a nice dinner somewhere special along with the presentation of gifts. Leading up to today would have been a few weeks of my paining over the perfect presents to get her. I’d secretly be shopping at the local stores, malls, on-line, in search of those four basic gifts one should always get for their significant other. Personal, practical, special, and silly. Like the year I got her a fire hydrant (yes it was a real one).

However this was not one of those years. There was no searching everywhere imaginable, no stressing over what to get, no planning of a dinner somewhere nice, no reading of countless cards until finding THE one that conveyed exactly what I wanted to say. Nothing. And of course I can’t call her, email her, or even post a quick “Happy birthday” on Facebook. Nothing… This is one of those days I’d like only to call-in-sick, stay at home, and simply be alone. Alone to reminisce… and very likely to experience the deep sadness that seems to come and go with the drop of a hat. But alas, my job responsibilities beckon.

Now, since I was stupid enough to have crossed the line on a couple of my posts, my belief is that she is no longer reading this blog… which makes it safe to be as expressive as I’d like right here. And in that spirit…

Happy Birthday Babe.

2 comments:

  1. Karl,

    Say happy birthday. What's it gonna hurt? If its sincere, she'll receive it well... I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though we are divorced, I would love it if my ex-husband would send me happy birthday wishes, or valentines, or xmas. Karl you seem to be one hell of a man. kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete

It's never enough for my particular bent on things to be the only thing people read. Your feedback is valuable because it lets me and others see multiple perspectives. You are invited and encouraged to leave a comment on this or any other post in this blog.

Thanks,
Karl