Monday, February 1, 2010

Lessons learned

Emotional ups and downs are par for the course for those of us going through separation and divorce. I knew that would be the case. What I hadn't counted on though was vacillating between the good and bad feelings directed at my spouse... Or how destructive some of those feelings can be... to me.

For the most part I do my best to represent my future "ex" as a good person at her core. In recent past however, through discussion with others, in writing, or buried deep in thought, I have had what I consider to be mean and arrogant thoughts about my spouse. Bitterness... it's coming from me. It took a lot for me to admit to that. And it's true when people say the only person bitterness harms is the one who happens to be feeling it.

Being a member of a few different divorce-related support groups I find there is a common theme of "taking ownership." This has been presented to most of us in the context of taking responsibility for our own contributions to the end of our marriage. But I find it also applies to the feelings we experience and aim at others. And this of course gives rise to even more emotions. I feel guilty, I'm mad at myself. I honestly want to be a good person. I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror and feel good about the person that I see. Yet in the throes of these mean and at times, spiteful thoughts I find I am losing self-respect. And that, by far and away is the top-of-the-list most important thing to me.

The lesson here, for me anyway, is a hard one. I need to avoid the mean thoughts and concentrate on only goodness. And my belief is with practice I'll be able to do that, and the result will be that I can look myself in the eye with respect and admiration. It's just something I've been thinking about lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's never enough for my particular bent on things to be the only thing people read. Your feedback is valuable because it lets me and others see multiple perspectives. You are invited and encouraged to leave a comment on this or any other post in this blog.

Thanks,
Karl