Thursday, March 11, 2010

The saga continues: Second guessing myself

It's tough enough accepting the failure with my now second marriage. My heart, my ego, my self-worth have all taken a hit such that I have a very hard time accepting a simple compliment as real. I question everything I do and still feel as though I'm living someone else's life. This couldn't possibly be happening to me! Add to this the business end of divorce and the resultant hit I have taken on everything from my heart to my psyche has me spinning! Achieving a simple balance right now is a daunting and seemingly untenable task. Yet here I am, dealing with the part I thought would be easy.

I am torn between being a good person and at the same time taking care of me and protecting myself from loss or financial hardship. At times these are two conflicting concerns. And in those moments I find myself floundering. Emotions get in the way of pragmatism and I'm left with a great deal of indecision. Even when I declare my position clearly and marked as final, I still second guess myself. I still contend however, that one of the most difficult things a person must do is knowingly cause harm to a person they care for. Even if it happens to be in the spirit of protecting myself and my interests.

My wife of course isn't happy with my position. That's to be expected but in her efforts to get me to reconsider, I'm left emotionally drained. This is just the beginning leg of what promisses to be an emotionally debilitating event in my life. Something for which I am terribly unprepared... Sigh.

4 comments:

  1. Karl,
    Fairness is a fluid thing. Which means it is dynamic and ever-changing. What may be right today, can be very wrong down the road. You need to remain pragmatic and true to yourself.

    As long as you don't make deciions that are based in emotion, or done to intentionally hurt your wife, then you will be just fine in the "good person" department.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karl, I have just read your comments, wow! Why would you want to put your personal business - between you and your wife out like this to be viewed by others? Secondly, talk with a third party to help you get through these things you have talked about in your "Saga Continues". I'm surprised to see this on line, like this!! All I can say is Wow! These are personal issues - you may want to talk about, what does you wife say about you put her out on the public viewing like this - she still is your wife, per your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read this post, several times. And I'm afraid I don't see anything contraversial here. There are no names mentioned. There aren't any details. I don't know where the most recent commenter gets the idea that this is so bad.

    Karl, don't stop writing. You are helping far more people than you know. It's well worth the occasional, gripe like the ove before mine.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

It's never enough for my particular bent on things to be the only thing people read. Your feedback is valuable because it lets me and others see multiple perspectives. You are invited and encouraged to leave a comment on this or any other post in this blog.

Thanks,
Karl