Saturday, January 23, 2010

All moved in

Well… it’s done. After a long day I’m all moved in to my new place. I’m sitting here in my living room, sipping on a nice Merlot, listening to some Grant Geisman acoustic guitar, and typing. This will be my first official day living here. Though I did spend the night here a few days ago (you can read about that here). Clearly this marks the beginning of what all my friends are calling a new chapter to my life. Though I really must be honest, it doesn’t feel like a new beginning. Rather it feels like the end of something. This…. This is the consolation.

After a day of moving I loaded the final bits into my car while my wife simply sat on the couch and waited for me to finish. When I did I announced that I was done and ready to leave. She just sat there. I asked her for a hug and then said “see ya.” I don’t know when I did this, but I made the decision that I would not let her see me cry any more. And I managed to hold it together really well. Though that hug served as a difficult test of my resolve. But I was strong and unmoved. At least until I got into my car and drove away. And it hit me like a freight train! I had to actually pull off the road and there I sat, sobbing (again) like a twelve year old girl. Incidentally, I am growing really tired of crying over this all the time. I don’t have the energy for it anymore.


So here I am, sipping on a Merlot and banging away at the computer. And I am trying desperately to see the good in this. To see this as a new beginning, a new chapter, the start of an adventure. And whatever other cliché you can give it. Maybe tomorrow I’ll see it. Right now all I can think about is whether I’ll be able to sleep.

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking a long ride on the Rocket III is in order. How's the weather?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can say all sorts of platitudes that may seem nice enough on the surface but really don't mean much. To be completely honest, I have waited a long time to see both my mom and my dad...Happy! And even though I know you can't see it, I can see that all the things you consider negative are just a catalyst for your 'time to be happy' Just get over the hump papa, you're almost there and I for one am happy for you! Love you xx Bug xx

    ReplyDelete

It's never enough for my particular bent on things to be the only thing people read. Your feedback is valuable because it lets me and others see multiple perspectives. You are invited and encouraged to leave a comment on this or any other post in this blog.

Thanks,
Karl