Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Can't think of a title


I really don’t know how to title this particular post. And after reading it I’m sure you’ll understand why. We all know that separation and divorce brings to the surface a plethora of emotions and with them, a hell of a lot more confusion about those emotions. Today I am sitting in my place. And while I do miss being a married man, I am comforted by the knowledge that this is indeed the best thing for me. Don’t get me wrong… I love my wife tremendously. And at her core I not only maintain that she is a good person… I’d defend it if it were to be challenged. Yet in spite of this, in spite of the fact that I both love and respect her, I know in my heart that separating from her is the best thing for me. I know that with respect to my own personal happiness and growth, and my ability to be myself completely without restriction, I need this.

Further, these past few days after moving out of our home, I have slept very well. Which in and of itself is huge! Or so I’m told. I’m waking up alone but in an up-beat mood. At the end of my day I get home to an empty house, but am not at all disheartened by it. I know this is still all very new and it’s entirely possible that this “good” feeling can give way to more emotional torture. So I’m accounting for that possibility. Nevertheless, I am surprisingly okay with it all.

And therein lies part-one my problem. I feel as though I’m too okay with this. I feel like I should be experiencing more grief and sadness from it all. After all I spent 13 years with the woman I love and to have it end, no matter the circumstances, there ought to be more upset over it. But the truth is, there isn’t. And I am burdened with a remarkable amount of guilt at the realization that I am suddenly not hurting. Don’t get me wrong, I am not throwing parties here. There is sadness. A hell of a lot of sadness. Just not at the loss of my wife. Please note, that was not a statement seeded in bitterness. I’m not angry, nor am I lashing out. I am simply trying to present myself as honestly as my capabilities allow.

In any event, this all serves to… well… spin my head around quite a bit. Where I was deeply saddened I am now just terribly confused. Where I was heartbroken, I am now overwhelmed with shock and dismay at my sudden change in the way I see it. Now, I’m told this is normal and that, like everything else that I have and will experience, this too shall pass. Truthfully I really hope it doesn’t pass. Well, I can do without the confusion but the good feelings I am experiencing now… those can stay.

Part two of my current state of confusion has to do with a rather awesome woman I met. And the inner conflict I have between my love for my wife and the fact that I am incredibly drawn to this new lady. But… this is a complex issue on its own and therefore, I’ll be writing about it in a separate post at another time. I will simply say this… it’s very complicated and has served to overwhelm my mind with a whole mish-mosh of new stuff with which I must contend. Stay tuned for the next installment of the drama that is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's never enough for my particular bent on things to be the only thing people read. Your feedback is valuable because it lets me and others see multiple perspectives. You are invited and encouraged to leave a comment on this or any other post in this blog.

Thanks,
Karl