Saturday, May 15, 2010

It's the little things

I was finally able to make my iPod dock work with my home stereo system. It’s been something for which I have been terribly anxious because now that it’s done, I can listen to all my favorite music, which has been held captive in a digital library. The favorites of which are in one of two iPods.

I’m now sitting here in my living room, listening to some of my favorite Latin music, Gloria Estefan. The song is called Farolito. It brings with it a wonderful, almost tribal rhythm, heavily laden with deep percussion. It’s the sort of music that one feels instead of hears. I can sense the beat of my heart while the music plays.

Way back, before I started dating my wife, I had grown to really enjoy Latin music and the way it captures the soul. I love Latin music because it causes me to move. But when my wife and I started dating, and then growing together in a meaningful relationship, my indulgence in the music diminished and almost disappeared entirely. I’m not blaming her for that. I blame myself. When we were together I opted to listen to the music we both understood, and I learned about other types of music from her as well. But Latin music… that was all but gone.

Today, I’m listening to it again. I play it in my car. I play it through the stereo system on my motorcycle. Now I can play it at home. Not constantly mind you. I do enjoy all forms of music. But, today my ability to play the Latin music whenever I like has returned. And for that I am grateful. It’s the latest piece of evidence that illustrates how the little things mean so very much to me and how they have been so very absent in my married life.

The little things, when aggregated, become the very things that drive us. Subtleties cause us either to appreciate or to loathe our lives. In my view it’s not about economic success or stature in the community or our relationship status. Instead it’s about warming the maple syrup, or noticing the new tablecloth, or picking just the right bubble bath, or allowing the music to move you. Those are the things, for me anyway, that make me love the direction my life is taking.

Don’t mind me… I’m just rambling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's never enough for my particular bent on things to be the only thing people read. Your feedback is valuable because it lets me and others see multiple perspectives. You are invited and encouraged to leave a comment on this or any other post in this blog.

Thanks,
Karl