Monday, April 5, 2010

My weekend in review (good and not so good)

It's Monday morning and I'm sitting here sort of reflecting on my weekend. From an emotional perspective I ran from the extreme of delight and exhilaration, to the other extreme with an experience of weighty gloom. I suppose this is going to be the new paradigm under which I exist. One where I sway from one emotional excess to the other with seemingly no real catalyst. The proverbial emotional roller coaster.
On Saturday I woke at 5:00 AM to make ready for a group ride with my riding club. It's not often I write about the motorcycling part of my life here because in most cases it's not relevant. Since I moved from "our" home and into my own place, I did so with a focus on being close to my office. And that meant being far from the riding club's activities. Our "Home Base" if you will, is Mount Baldy and I live in Long Beach (Signal Hill). My ability to ride with my friends had been greatly reduced since my wife and I split. So today it's relevant.

In any case, the ride was a 400 mile day with 15 other bikes including one of my closest friends "M" (remember, no names). The day was filled with riding on the freeways, city streets, and some cool sweepers through the canyons down past the Temecula Valley and into Anza Borego, about 90 miles due east of Escondido. We had lunch in Borego Springs and a small group of us rode back through Highway 79 and more canyon riding. I returned home by 5:00 or 6:00 PM. This was an awesome day filled with fun riding, good company and the camaraderie that I simply needed. Awesome, awesome day.

Sunday was the mixed bag. This year my birthday fell on Easter Sunday and when your birthday competes with a biblical holiday there isn't much one can expect. :-) My lady-friend celebrated the holiday with her kids. And since we are not yet ready for me to meet the kids, that meant no lady friend. While I respect and support her involvement with her kids, I missed her and it would have been nice to see her. Sunday morning was the most difficult where I experienced a strong sense of loneliness. You can read about that here. Sunday afternoon was spent at a friend's where we celebrated the holiday with a nice lunch and we even toasted my birthday and had some chocolate cake. I don't know if they know it, but J, S, and K pretty much rescued me from what would have been a day of heart ache. Thanks you guys! You rock!

The evening finished off with a nice conversation with my lady friend and I drifted off to sleep some time after midnight. Overall, a good weekend interrupted by some crappy heart ache but nonetheless... it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's never enough for my particular bent on things to be the only thing people read. Your feedback is valuable because it lets me and others see multiple perspectives. You are invited and encouraged to leave a comment on this or any other post in this blog.

Thanks,
Karl