Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Blessings

Whenever I start to believe my current state of mind and state of heart are going to settle into something... everything changes. I have enjoyed the last week feeling pretty dam great. I even wrote about how I feel guilty at my indifference to my pending divorce. This morning however I woke up in a foul state.

I've been doing very well at managing the mechanics of my life (bland though it may be). I keep my place clean, I feed myself, I shower regularly, I pay attention to my work responsibilities (though I tend to do it from home), my bills are paid on time, yet I still feel as though I will be waking up from a dream soon.

A dynamite lady has captured my heart. She is like a sunrise on a crisp, chilly morning. With her I feel strong, manly, and just a little bit taller. When I have her wrapped up in my arms I'm substantial. She takes care of me, worries about me, laughs with me, and is slowly making me believe that I am truly worth something. Yet I still wake up lonely with a terrible feeling of insecurity.

But in spite of it all. In spite of the sadness, loneliness, insecurity that all come and go with seemingly no consistency whatsoever, I am surrounded by people who are there to lift me up, who make me realize I am worth it, who provide a shoulder or ear whenever I need it, and have never asked for anything in return. These are all the blessings that I enjoy and appreciate.

My kids, my best female friend "B", my best male friend "M", my very special lady "J", my mom (Yes at the tender age of 49 I still need mom). And there are two additional folks who don't realize how much they have helped that deserve to be acknowledged and listed among my "blessings." I met both through the divorce support group to which I belong. "J" and "K". You two have helped me more than you know and I appreciate it.

I know it's hard to identify those people when all I use are a single letter but remember my rule... no names on this blog. At least not yet. But all those noted here know who they are. And I hope to God they realize how much I appreciate them.

1 comment:

  1. You continue to touch my heart in so many ways. Even when you are in need of a shoulder, I can see the strong man that you are. Needing others to help us get through the tough times is not a weakness. It actually shows strength, not only in you but in the bond you've formed with those you trust enough to lean on.And that is a beautiful thing. Your shoulders have always been big enough for us both. Sometimes you need to let me be the one to carry you. I Do realize how much you appreciate all of those in your life. Please allow yourself to recognize how much we appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete

It's never enough for my particular bent on things to be the only thing people read. Your feedback is valuable because it lets me and others see multiple perspectives. You are invited and encouraged to leave a comment on this or any other post in this blog.

Thanks,
Karl