Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The business end of things

I just received confirmation from X-2-B (Yes, J, I'm borrowing your term) that all credit cards and the remaining tax liability are paid off! With respect to the business end of our pending divorce, this is an important milestone. Unfortunately it creates within me a set of mixed emotions. Oh how I look forward to the day that I am beyond the whole divorce thing!

My initial response to the idea of divorce was one of heart break and a strong desire to do anything in the name of keeping my marriage together. This came from my view on marriage in and of itself, as well as the fact that I simply loved her and looked forward to a long and happy life together. Today however, my reaction to it is diametrically opposed. Today, my desire is to completely sever all connection to her and quite frankly, to erase her from every aspect of my life. This, by the way, does not suggest I suddenly hate her. I do not. I just want to move my life in a direction that no longer includes her in any way. Meaningful or minor.

Yet, in spite of this, the news of this business-related milestone leaves me both elated as well as just a little bit sad. I'm elated because this clears two significant ties to my X-2-B. I'm sad because it clears significant ties to her. While I have made it clear that I don't want any connection to her at all, losing connection actually hurts... just a bit... okay maybe more... Whatever... I didn't expect to feel this way and I hate it. I hate that in spite of the fact that I now WANT to proceed with the divorce, she still has a hold on my heart. Right now I feel pretty pathetic...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, paying off debt BEFORE the divorce. Novel concept. Wish we had done that.
    BTW, since you are anxious to proceed, instead of refering to her as x-2-b you might like STBX, SOON to be ex. Always my favorite.
    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. If my wife told me that she reduced our collective debt by one damn penny, I swear to god I would drop dead on the spot. Shopping is therapy don't cha know and those "cute" shoes were on sale so I actually saved money. WTF does that mean?

    BTW- X-2-B There is no substitute!

    ReplyDelete

It's never enough for my particular bent on things to be the only thing people read. Your feedback is valuable because it lets me and others see multiple perspectives. You are invited and encouraged to leave a comment on this or any other post in this blog.

Thanks,
Karl