Tuesday, February 22, 2011

What a wild ride

I haven’t posted anything here since July of last year. On that “final” post I mentioned that every time I’d sit and start writing, instead of a catharsis, it served only to revive the “ouch” of my separation, divorce, and attempts at redefining my life. But owing to some strong urgings from a few people who have taken the time to reach out to me, I am here, writing an update to what’s been happening.

It’s been a wild ride!

First and foremost… my divorce is final! Finally! I am now officially a single man! While the process took a lot out of me, I’m happy to report my circumstances aren’t as bleak as they could have been. I actually managed to walk away with everything exactly the way I wanted. Rare in the world of divorce, and I count myself extremely lucky to still have my ass! Although that’s pretty much all I have. Note here that I do not consider the dissolve of a marriage as something to celebrate. Rather, the conclusion of a painful process is the thing over which to rejoice. My ex is a wonderful lady and at the end of the day, after getting past the heartache and at times mean-spirited mechanics of the process, I wish her only success and happiness in its truest form for her future. Whatever that means to her.

Next. I’ve made mention numerous times in this blog about a certain lady with whom I was involved, a wonderful lady who captured my heart. I’m sad to report that she and I are no longer together. And while that brought with it its own heartache, I have to actually thank her. I’m not certain if she realizes it but she helped me in immeasurable ways, to live through what is likely to have been a debilitating exercise. It’s no secret that I am a highly heart-driven, emotional man and that my divorce was at times heart wrenching and paralyzing. She taught me that I am worthy of love, that I am still capable of loving, that I’m not as “unmarketable” as I had originally thought. It certainly goes much deeper than this but suffice it to say, she helped me and taught me so much that I doubt I can ever repay her for the wonderful gifts she gave me.

So just in case she is reading this… THANK YOU!

Friends. I guess if there were any “good” thing that came from my divorce, it would have to be the friends I have made along the way. You all know who you are. I honestly believe my life has been enriched simply by my knowing you. It’s sort of sad to know that it took something like the death of my marriage to establish these wonderful relationships. But I’m ever-so-happy I did.

Finally I have put myself “out there.” I am in pursuit of one of those long-lasting, emotionally meaningful relationships (whatever the hell that means). The difference however is that I am doing it in the traditional sense. You know… boy meets girl… boy asks girl out… girl accepts… boy asks for second date… etc etc etc. It’s a rather new paradigm for me and while it’s at times a little intimidating and I occasionally feel like an awkward child, it’s also very cool! I’ve had a handful of dates with a rather nice lady who has interests that are very similar to mine and is likely one of the easiest ladies with whom to share thoughts, impressions, and ideas. I met her kids over the weekend and while it didn’t seem to be an earth-moving event for her, it was for me, a tremendously profound and impacting event. It was in fact HUGE! To be introduced to a person’s “important people” is a milestone by which I measure the way a person views me. And those who know me know that it means more than can be described. Okay… reality-check. We’ve only had a few nice dates and while I view her as a very cool lady, there really is no way to tell if this will be a lasting and meaningful relationship or not. All I know right now, is that I’d like to find out.

So… there it is… my update… I guess the simple take-away message here is that there is in fact an end to the pain and torment we all experience in this crappy divorce thing. And emerging from the muck we can in fact, do so as stronger and more balanced human beings, capable of enjoying all the wonderful things that life has to offer. How cool is that?
God Bless you all!

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Karl! You're back! ANd it sounds like good news for you too! So who is the new mystery lady? Whowver she is, she is one lucky chick! Please stay in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karl, I'm glad your moving into a place the rest of us want to be. It's really comforting to read your posts. I hope there will be more soon. Hope to see you at some of the meetups. I know there are alot of people who want to meet you.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karl - thank you for that post. It is so painful for me right now. But, to hear of such hope, that is wonderful. It's hard to act like you're composted, but when in reality, you're not. I still need to go thru the painful reality of telling my husband I want to leave him, although I still love him & we are friends. It's a long story - maybe I should start a blog. I'm new, so I hope to meet u someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Anonymous #3

    First take a seat and just breath. Don't think about anything right now (just for the moment). Look around. Notice things. Everything. Color, textures, sound, smells. REALLY notice them. Now center yourself.

    Understand this ... everything is temporary. That and take comfort in knowing that we are never challenged with anything that is beyond our ken. I know that's really easy to say but I promise it's true.

    Now then... if you need a friendly ear, click the email link at the top of this blog and send me a message. I'll send you my number. I can't promise that I'll make everything all rosy but I have really big ears and strong shoulders so at very least, you have a safe person to whom you can vent.

    I'm sending you some good energy....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any updates Karl? We miss hearing from you! You're like a light to some of us in the community.

    ReplyDelete

  6. My wife and I separated Last year September, I will agree I wasn't true to myself and her. But i did all I could let her have a good life I did put all my energy into our little family as we have 2 beautiful kids.because I worked As a waiter she didn't really like that for a career, she thought i didn't want to do well in my life. last year as the harsh finance situation hit as we've been suffering with our finance for a while she decided to end our marriage. which i was very devastated!! to lose the love of my life, but a month after separation i went to France for 10days to clear my head. when i got back she wanted me back but she didn't want romantic side of it a month after xmas she told me again that she cant do it anymore as our finance was at lowest. then we made a decision to end it to sort our lives out...but my prayer everyday for her to realize that i am not a loser all i wanted is to do what i could to put food on the table and roof over their head. since the second separation i am qualified football coach and fitness instructor and doing more toward my career but I don't want to get into a relationship with another woman when my wife and I suffered all of this years when my career takes of shes not there to enjoy it with me..I really want her back in my life so i contacted this spell caster Abija olalude who now help me to bring her back, we now have a happy family together with my wife. If you want his help you reach him via email at spirituallighthealing101@live.com you are well come!

    ReplyDelete

It's never enough for my particular bent on things to be the only thing people read. Your feedback is valuable because it lets me and others see multiple perspectives. You are invited and encouraged to leave a comment on this or any other post in this blog.

Thanks,
Karl